Friday, September 19, 2014

Removing Labels from Jars

NOTE:  If you run across any links that don't work please let me know.  You can also click on the Amazon links to the right and they will take you to Amazon and you can search for the product.  I will try to fix this problem!


If you look to the right of the screen and scroll down you will see Creations Picks.  Those are the products I use the most.


I got a few messages from readers asking how to get the labels off of jars. You may remember the lids I made a couple days ago? Well here is how I prepare the jars to be used in my pantry, craft room or to give with gifts!

Supplies
Recycled Jars
Vinegar
Baking Soda
Water
Sink
Dish soap
 (I use blue Dawn for everything)
Crisco



First I collect jars. It is easier to do this when you can fill one sink full at a time.

Next peel off as much of the label as possible.  This will help the mixture work where it needs to.

Then I set the jars in the sink and fill each jar with hot water (as hot as you can get it). After they are full I fill the sink until the labels are all covered by water.


I fill them with water so they won't float.

Add 2-3 cups of vinegar, 1 cup baking soda and a squirt of dish soap to the water. Watch the magic!


You can see the bubbles working!

Let soak for 10-20 minutes. Scrape off what you can of the labels and if it isn't coming off soak a little longer!

If you have any with stubborn glue dry the  jar and cover the area with Crisco (YEP, Crisco).  Let sit for 30 min to overnight. Some will come off easier than others.







 If you really are not able to get the glue off I suggest wrapping it with a pretty paper to cover it ;)



Go check out how I used the jars for Pumpkin Butter at Our other blog Our Asylum's Kitchen Cookbook!


No comments:

Post a Comment