Monday, September 29, 2014

Basic Pallet Signs

 Ever wonder how all those pallet signs are made?  Here is a quick and easy one!  Don't forget to come back tomorrow and see what I did with it!

Supplies

Saw (power or hand)
work area
Electric screw drive or  regular screw driver
screws
3 pallet boards
Wood Glue
Clamp (optional but very helpful)


Sounds like a lot right?  It is, but it is not hard to make.  I recruited the hubs to help me with the first round as I wasn't sure which tools I would need. He was an engineer at one time in his military career, so this stuff comes easy for him!

First, he cut 2 of my pallet boards in half.




Then he cut the 3rd board to the length needed to hold the boards together.  Then he split the board in half. We tried to make sure our boards were not perfectly lined up as well.



We were starting out without the clamp and using our own man made powers to put in the screws, but... 



The clamp made it so much easier.  We did have to weigh the middle of the clamp down as it kept wanting to bow out.
 


Then we added a little wood glue to the back of our brace pieces.
 


Then the teenager tried using his new muscles he worked all summer on.



Hubs thought it was painful to watch so he used his power tools to help us finish the job!
 

We added a little wood glue to our splits just to help it hold together.
 

Let it dry, flip it over and you have a pallet sign, ready for whatever ideas you have!  Come over tomorrow and I will show you what I did with this one.  I didn't completely finish tomorrow's sign as I like to have it hang on the wall and think about what to add to it!  I can't wait for you to see it though!
  
Want to see how you can make something to quickly take apart those pallets (this is so on my wish list now)?  Head over HERE to see how he made his.  By the way you should check this guys YouTube page out he's pretty awesome!  If you don't want to build one or don't have the wood working skills like me, check out the link below!




No comments:

Post a Comment